Resettlement Associate – (Protection Caseworker)UNOPS
UNHCR Sub office Melkadida hosts Somali refugees in the five camps; Bokolmanyo, Melkadida, Kobe, Hilaweyn, and Buramino. As at 08 October 2018, there are a recorded 38,636 households / 219,729 individuals in proGres database.
There have been positive strides in fulfilling the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) following the adoption of the New York Declaration for Refugees and Migranats. There hpwever, remains a number of refugees who have protection concerns that cannot be met at the camp and are eligible for resettlement as s protection tool and durable solution. These vulnerable individuals include persons with legal and/or physical protection needs, survivors of violence and/or torture, women and girls at-risk and persons with medical needs.
The Protection Unit currently has six staff working in the field and reception center. They are engaged in various activities such as general food distributions, individual case management, focus group discussions and monitoring activities. The amount and intensity of the work makes it difficult for the protection staff to produce a steady steam of Protection Referral Forms (PRF), assessing the vulnerabilty and protection concerns of persons of concern, to be forwarded to the Resettlement Unit for resettlement interviewing
The Resettlement Unit submitted 404 individuls to Canada in 2018 and met the annual quota. However, the quota for 2019 is yet to be set but it is anticipated that Germany will take approximately 600 individuals while Canada may allot 400 individuals.
The Resettlement Associate – Protection Caseworker will take part in preparing PRFs and physical files to be forwarded to the Resettlement unit for further interviewing. They will conduct protection interviews to assess the protection needs and follow up with relevant entities for further case management. The Resettlement Associate – Protection Caseworker will also assist in drafting of Best Interest Determinations (BIDs) where necessary.
- Resettlement delivery is needs-based, non-discriminatory and prioritized for refugees most in need of this solution.
- UNHCR’s protection and child protection policies and standards are correctly and coherently applied.
- Fraud in the protection process is promptly identified and addressed.
- Conduct protection interviews and prepare PRFs for cases identified for resettlement in accordance with the UNHCR Guidelines and SOPs;
- Complete at least 16-20 PRFs per month along with all pertinent documentation;
- Assist in preparing at least 2 BID per month assessment with all pertinent documentation;
- Systematically update and maintain proGres database in relation to the resettlement events and actions;
- Ensure proper managements of both physical and electronic data;
- Conduct any other activity that may be deemed necessary.
- Recommend cases that are eligible for resettlement consideration.
- Provide counselling to persons of concern.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Education: Completion of secondary education with certificate/training in International Law, International Relations or related fields required.
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function
- Training in basic principles of international protection
- Fluency in English and local languages, i.e. Amharic and/or Somali.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Good knowledge of UNHCR Resettlement policies and operational applications in different resettlement countries and situations;
- Completion of UNHCR mandatory learning/training courses;
- Excellent drafting skills
- Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software and drafting of RRFs is desirable;
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians only. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter and the most recent fact sheets through the online application system.
Candidates may be required to sit for a test.
Due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be invited for interview.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.