The Maintenance Assistant, being under a supervision of Admin/finance Officer, is responsible to assist all maintenance activities related to generators, electric lines, air conditioners and related equipment’s of the six offices and three guest house compounds under sub-office Assosa. S/he liaises closely with admin staff and head of field units to ensure timely installation and maintenance of all the aforementioned equipment’s for their smooth functioning.
The incumbent also provides technical supports to the Assistant site planning Officer through supervision of construction activities in the camps; provision of support and advice as required to resolve technical and construction problems; monitoring the workmanship and Perform field quality control observations and assessments and recommendations for repair works.
- UNHCR's Maintenance Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
- Perform installation of all types of generators, Air conditioners and related electrical equipment’s in all the six offices and three guest house compounds.
- Inspect and ensure that all electrical equipment’s and power generators are functioning well.
- Initiate purchase requests for procurement of parts and lubricants.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to ins and outs of accessories and consumables.
- Identify generators with specific maintenance need and ensure timely arrangement for back-ups for un-interrupted power supply. Ensure regular inspection of generators and.
- Manage construction activities in the camps so that the schedule is respected, cost remains within budgetary limits and the quality of the work meets standards.
- Prepare project cost estimations and proposals for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors
- Prepare tender documentations including BOQs, SOWs and subsequent analysis of bid
- Monitoring and quality control of project and keep a record of construction documents
- Provide support and advice as required to resolve technical and construction problems
- Monitor the workmanship and Perform field quality control observations and assessments
- Processes the application for Payment; review schedules, costs, and change orders
- Provide recommendations for repair work and make sure that deadlines are complied.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of Secondary education or equivalent technical school with certificate/training in electricity/Electrical installation/Construction and other related fields.
- Minimum 4 years of job experience relevant to the function;
- Computer skills (MS office, AUTOCAD and People Soft applications).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language (as applicable in the duty station).
- In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge in UNHCR Admin and supply rules, procedures and processes;
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
- Managerial and Cross Functional Competencies
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians and Non-Ethiopians with a valid work permit from Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter and the most recent fact sheets through the online application system.
Candidates will be required to sit for a test.
Due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be invited for interview.
Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an Indefinite or FTA appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.