The Admin Assistant will provide administrative assistance to the immediate supervisor and/or Head of the Office to ensure that routine services and activities within the administrative domain are properly implemented. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment in hand. S/he will receive regular guidance from his/her supervisor. As per specific instructions, the incumbent may require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives. The nature of certain personnel/administrative tasks requires discretion and confidentiality as per UNHCR standards and practices.
The incumbent’s workload and the assignments will remain under constant scrutiny and direction of the supervisor.
The Administrative Assistant is a position within an office/Division/Bureau that requires basic knowledge of administrative rules, procedures as well as operational standards of a UNHCR office. The nature of certain administrative/personnel functions require discretion and confidentiality. He/she will also be required to assist the office in matter relating to Protocol.
The most typical functions may include:
- Maintain hard and electronic office files and records; classify and code material relating to a variety of topics;
- Search and retrieve office files, and reproduce documentation and background material for reference and action by the supervisor, as and when required;
- Receive, register, route correspondence and office pouch. Maintain a follow up system
- Draft routine correspondence, memoranda and reports. Format more complex documents by using the appropriate technology.
- Facilitate implementation of Personnel administrative formalities and processing of documents in relation to official travels, leaves and movements of staff. Support staff members with processing personnel-related documentation.
- Maintain office inventory and stocks of office supplies. Monitor the asset management track to ensure all admin procurements and disposal of UNHCR property are done and recorded accurately.
- Assist the supervisor to monitor and record expenditure/disbursement of funds.
- Following instructions from the supervisor make logistic and administrative arrangements for seminars, workshops, and briefings that may be required by the Office/Division.
- May regulate and monitor routine provision of services and/or shifts from providers, as and when applicable;
- Monitor office/compound facilities and equipment and in consultation with the supervisor take appropriate action to ensure proper functioning at all time.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary by the supervisor/or senior manager in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of Secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with certificate/training in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field.
- Minimum 3 years (for secondary education holder) or 4 years (for certificate/training holder) of previous job experience relevant to the function;
- Computer skills (MS office and People soft applications).
- Fluency in English
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Analytical thinking
- Working Knowledge in Protocol matters
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians and Non-Ethiopians with a valid work permit from Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter and P11/Fact Sheet Form to: Human Resources Unit through the online application system.
Candidates may be required to sit for a test.
Due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be invited for interview.
Late applications will not be considered.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.