Resettlement Associate (Protection Referrals Caseworker)UNOPS
This Resettlement Associate (Protection Referrals Caseworker) position is located at UNHCR Assosa Sub-Office. Under Protection Officer’s supervision, the incumbent’s primary role is to assist in providing, in close coordination with concerned sections within UNHCR as well as external parties such as resettlement countries and IOM, a continuous support to resettlement operations by ensuring that resettlement polices are correctly implemented and operations are supported in establishing comprehensive protection and solutions strategies. The Resettlement Associate (Protection Referrals Caseworker) takes part in conducting interviews and identifying cases for possible referrals to resettlement.
- Resettlement delivery is needs-based, non-discriminatory and prioritized for refugees most in need of this solution;
- UNHCR’s resettlement policies and standards are correctly and coherently applied;
- Persons of concern are made aware of UNHCR’s resettlement procedures and have fair and transparent access to and participation in the resettlement process;
- Fraud in the resettlement process is promptly identified and addressed.
- Identify protection cases for possible referral to resettlement with a target of 20 cases per week;
- Prepare the protection referral forms (PRFs) that will be shared with the Associate Protection Officer for approval and referrals to resettlement;
- Work as part of the protection team with focus on the protection referrals for resettlement;
- Provide counselling and advice to refugees concerning criteria, prospects, and problems in connection with the resettlement process;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Recommend cases that are eligible for resettlement consideration;
- Provide counselling to persons of concern.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary education with certificate/training in International Law, International Relations or related fields required.
- Job Experience: 6 years of job experience relevant to the functions;
- Knowledge of and/or preparedness to become familiar with and abide by UNHCR’s principles, code of conduct and humanitarian goals;
- Knowledge of the international legal framework governing refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons and statelessness;
- Knowledge of UNHCR guidelines on refugee status determination / resettlement;
- Awareness of gender issues and how to apply rights and community-based approach to identify and respond to specific needs;
- Awareness of the importance of preventing fraud and ways to mitigate risks;
- Excellent interviewing and counselling skills;
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills;
- Ability to conduct assessments and identify protection risks of individuals and groups;
- Demonstrable leadership skills in developing communication strategies, negotiating and implementing large group activities within a multicultural / refugee and multi-sectoral setting;
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g. conflict resolution) and ability to work effectively in teams;
- Ability to work in stressful situations and in hardship locations.
- Computer Skill - MS-Office and Excel
- Fluency in English language
- Analytical thinking
- Political Awareness
- Knowledge of South Sudanese, Congolese and Sudanese languages will be considered as a strong asset for the position;
- Resettlement experience
- Experience with large-scale resettlement and/or evacuation programmes desirable;
- Experience with counselling refugees on resettlement related issues – highly desirable;
- Experience with Refugee Status Determination and Exclusion analysis– highly desirable;
- Completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities (e.g., PLP and RSD/Resettlement Learning Programme, resettlement anti-fraud workshop).
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians only.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter and factsheet/P11 Form to: Human Resources Unit through the online application system.
Candidates will be required to sit for interview.
Due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be invited for further interview.